The lecture last night What killed the Mega Fauna?  

Posted by Feral Beast in , ,

Hello my friends!

I'am back, and I'll first tell you why I hadn't posted for a while.
You see, I was busy doing a University unit.

But I'll tell you what I'm posting.
I'm posting about a lecture I went to last night.
The lecture was called, WHO KILLED THE MEGA FAUNA?

Now, it was at the Melbourne Museum, in the Discovery Center.
The man that hosted it was the same man that discovered the Gogo fish.
He talked about all of the rich Mega Fauna deposits all around Central Australia and around the Southen part of Australia .

He talked about MOUMOTH CAVE, and how whole caverns were filled with Mega Fauna bones.
He also talked about some of the animals that lived in that time.
One of them was a giant flightless bird that was bigger than the 3 meter tall emu that lived in that time.
The giant flightless bird was actually related to ducks, and was nick-named, THE GIANT DEMON DUCK OF DOOM. To see it's skull click HERE.
He also talked about one of my favourite meat-eaters of that time, THE MARSUPIAL LION.
Click HERE.
He then takled about THYLACOLEO cave.

THYLACOLEO cave is on the Nullarbor Plain.
The cave was found by some amateur cave explorers.
At first when they got the Paleontologist's out at the site, they were reluctant to show them because they had found a complete MARSUPIAL LION skeleton.

To cut a long story short, he said that as soon as we came along, the Mega Fauna started to die out, but one of the ideas was that they were dying out because of us, and also because the ice age was ending.

At the end I asked 2 questions, the first was,
  " Could the Mega Fauna have died out because we humans could have spread a disease amongst them?",
and his reply was,
"That's a very good question, and it is possible, but because we haven't been able to get DNA from the bones, we don't know if that happened or not."
I also asked ,
"Could they have died because the Mega Fauna had adapted too much to the Ice Age and couldn't survive in a warmer climate?"
And his reply was,
"From core samples we have from Antarctica the last Ice Age was quite slow and steady in it's decline so the Mega Fauna could have adapted."
I loved the lecture.

That's all from me for now, I'm signing off now.
See ya.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 at 2:19 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

"THE GIANT DEMON DUCK OF DOOM"

Obviously an ancestor of the GIANT DEVIL CAT OF THE BREAKFAST BOWL that lives in my house.

March 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Anonymous  

Good questions FB. Missed you posting.

March 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Post a Comment