The Murrells of Mentone, library search and me learning Maori.  

Posted by Feral Beast in

Hello.

First I'm going to tell you about Mum and I going to the State Library last week.
When we were going up there, our train couldn't go through the city loop 'coz the signal boxes weren't working, so we got off at Flinders Street Station.
When we went outside the train station, we walked up Swanston street to the State Library.
When we did get there, we had a look at the exhibition, which was "SPORT AND WAR."and it was all about the sports the soldiers played in WW1 and in WW2.
Anyway, after that, we did the things that we came to do.
First of all, we went to the geneaology center and researched the Murrell family.
After that, we went to the microfilm room and checked all the microfilms of the Newspapers of the day.
I learnt how to use a microfilm reader and the geneaology database.

I saw some funny comics and ads and they were really funny.
When I'd stopped giggling to myself, and found the articles we wanted, I realised how famous Mr and Mrs Murrell were.
Well, after that, we printed out the articles we wanted, but the White on Black articles didn't get the pictures right, and when we tried to fix it by making the colour Black on White, we just got a white out!
So we left it as it was.
But when it came to the Black on White one, it turned out great.
I learnt how to use the microfilm processor and printer, too.

And then after that we went home.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I learnt some Maori words on a website that is called Korero Maori, which is where I got all of these things, so click here to learn some more.


āe is "yes".
ako is "learn".
āpōpō is "tomorrow"
au is "me/I".
haere is "go" and that's only a little bit that I've learnt.
I also learnt that they might have come from Hawii and that their culture's are similar.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 3:45 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

"...it was all about the sports the soldiers played in WW1 and in WW2."

Pass the handgrenade?

August 26, 2008 at 5:55 PM
Anonymous  

Cool Feral!

At the Gang Show I am singing a Maori song.

August 29, 2008 at 11:25 AM

LOL.

Oh cool!

August 30, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Post a Comment