Mini Archaeologist  

Posted by Feral Beast in


Here are some of my finds from my backyard, I hope you like them.

These are some of the medical and alcohol bottles I've found in the midden. Some have writing on them thats how I know some are medical bottles.






These are made of lead and are very heavy. I think the soldier is supposed to be a Roman soldier.









This is just a little bit of the pottery shards I've found in the large midden (rubbish pit).






The round brown shape at the top of the photo is the inside piece from a teapot.










The little white square is a ceramic decoration from a bracelet or necklace.






More again.






I've also found many bones from meals, a pair of mens boots and belt buckles and lots and lots of mussel shells.
I keep digging when mum lets me.

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 11:55 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

Anonymous  

what fantastic finds and great pictures. I love the patterns on the broken crockery. I have never found so much in my backyard digs.

March 2, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Hello Feral Beast. My name is Widdle Shamrock and we homeschool too !!!

You have a very interesting back yard and a nice Mum to let you dig it up. You have found some awesome things there.

March 2, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Anonymous  

I could well be dead wrong, but I'd suggest your little warrior figurine is more likely a briton or early middle ages type soldier. I'm just going on the shape of the shield (reminds me of the Hastings battle of 1066) and the axe he's using. Not sure the Romans used axes.

Keep digging, eh?

March 2, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Mr. V...I'm going to have to disagree with you there. That's a Roman soldier...probably.

The Normans and Saxons (at Hastings in 1066) wore chain mail tunics and their helmets had nose-guards.

The sheild shape and decoration isn't typical of Roman squaddies admittedly (theirs' were usually rectangular so that they could get together in a group, interlock shields and create a protective barrier) and it does have the later Norman/Saxon look about it, but, who knows what was going through the model designer's brain at the time?

Whatever time period he's from, his horse is very small. I hope he doesn't sit on it otherwise there'll be a sudden squeak and four stiff legs sticking out at right-angles.

March 2, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Thanks LID and Nikki for liking my blog.My Mum started home schooling me last year which I really enjoy and I think is the best kind of school because I get to do year5, year6, year7, year8, and year9 work which is very easy for me even though I'm in year5.

I like your blog Mr V.

Brian if the horse does become squished "WE" better not feed it to those cannibal cow's and sheep in the bushes and I suspect there might be cannibal chickens too, because of the way our chickens try to nibble on our toes , anyway we better not feed it to them because, who knows, they might ask for more, and probably if we don't give them what they want they'll most likely keep on eating us.

March 3, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Anonymous  

Aw, Hughesey... let's cut the difference and say 5th Century then, eh? Glad I qualified my last response with 'could well be dead wrong'!

Thanks for giving the blog a gander, Feral. Glad you found some sort of enjoyment out of it.

March 3, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Mr. V,

You could well be right. To be honest I keep looking at that little soldier and the best I can come up with is that it's an Iron Age celt in a Roman helmet with a Normal shield and WWI boots. Certainly an odd mixture of styles.

Mr. Beast,

That horse is so tiny even the cannibal chickens would have a job turning into a sandwich.

March 3, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Post a Comment